Looking for preschool books without the twaddle? Want to expose your children to quality literature with wonderful text and beautiful illustrations?
In this post, I’m sharing 41 of our favorite picture books for children ages 3-5. These are all living books that you won’t mind reading over and over again. Books that not only your children will love, but you’ll love as well.
A Charlotte Mason Early Years Book List
Listed below, in no particular order, are 41 of our favorite living books to read during the early years.
- The Jesus Storybook Bible (Absolute favorite Bible for young children)
- Make Way for Ducklings
- Bear Snores On (A newer book that will surely be a classic)
- Beatrix Potter: The Complete Peter Rabbit
- Angus and the Ducks (Angus and the Cat is wonderful as well)
- The Big Snow
- Blueberries for Sal
- The Story of Ferdinand
- Caps for Sale
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
- A Child’s Book of Poems
- Eric Carle’s Animals Animals (Another favorite poem book)
- Frog and Toad (We like the compilation in the Storybook Favorites)
- James Herriot’s Treasury for Children (Perfect for animal lovers)
- How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World
- Cranberry Thanksgiving (Top pick for Thanksgiving)
- The Garden The Curtain and The Cross (Top Easter pick)
- Goodnight Moon (Bedtime classic)
- Little Bear
- What Do You Do With a Kangaroo?
- Guess How Much I Love You
- Little Blue Truck
- The Little Engine That Could
- The Three Billy Goats Gruff (Preferably by Paul Galdone)
- The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh
- Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
- Miss Rumphius
- The Little Red Hen (Preferably by Paul Galdone)
- The Mitten
- Harold and the Purple Crayon
- Owl Babies
- Owl Moon
- The Real Mother Goose
- Room for a Little One (Top pick for Christmas)
- Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
- The Snowy Day
- The Complete Brambly Hedge
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar
What About You?
What are some of your favorite read aloud books for the younger crowd? Share your top picks in the comments below and be sure to share this post with other homeschool moms and dads.